What is Design?
Published 11th May 2010
The following is from my some of my uni notes. It’s in the context of software design but interesting none the less:
- The process of deciding the form of an item during its creation
- Ideal design seeks to find the optimal balance between all forces affecting the problem
- Often a trade-off between forces
- Correctness, security, flexibility, usability, cost, efficiency…
- Perception of importance depends on viewpoint
- Software design is hard
- Poor engineering knowledge
- How should forces be prioritised?
- Complexity of modern software challenges limits of human problem solving ability